Friday, May 28, 2010

Movement 2010 Afterparty Picks - Round 4: Monday

I must say, the last-minute cancellation of two major headliners at two of my recommended afterparties has taken some of the wind out of my sails. I'm a bit wary to recommend anything further, for fear of yet another visa fail (thanks for ruining the music, US State Dept). But maybe that's just paranoia. I suppose the show must go on...

Alright well, first off, if you've gone to DEMF at all before, or if you've even poked around on the internet at party recaps, you've probably heard of Need I Say More? @ The Old Miami. This Memorial Day party has become almost as quintessential to the DEMF experience as Movement itself. Thank the lord that the rumors about the party splitting ways with the Old Miami proved not to be true. I shouldn't have to do much convincing to get you there, so I'll end with this year's lineup: Bill Patrick, Matt Tolfrey, Matt Dear vs Ryan Elliott, Visionquest, and an exclusive performance by France's Masomenos (very excited for this)! The madness starts circa 7am and continues in to early evening.

On to my Monday Night recommendation:
Hot Natured @ Exodus

Yes, this is the same party I recommended for last year's Monday night. I normally try to steer clear of being a broken record, but I was pretty happy to see this party making a return to Detroit this year. If you're anything like me, by Monday night you might just be getting tired of the steady onslaught of 4/4 techno beats. This party provides the perfect escape from that, while still letting you feel like you're a trooper for making it out for a final night or partying. There will be a few "normal" sets going on indoors, but the real attraction here are the "disco" sets being played out on the patio by Jamie Jones, Lee Foss, and Soul Clap. To be clear, "disco" is a misnomer here (unless the music radically changes from what they played last year). I would describe it more like 80's and 90's pop, RnB, Newjack Swing, and the like. Rest assured, you'll be hearing more New Edition than Bee Gees.

If you really haven't had your techno fill by this night, then head over to Fuk The Aristocrats @ The Works. Here you can see the likes of Alexi Delano, Kyle Geiger, and John Selway. There's also a DnB stage and an ambient stage for more variety.

Alright, that about does it for me. It's literally time for my flight. See you in Detroit!

No comments:

Post a Comment